Achieving Financial Success in 2016 Workshop Review - January 30th
Bola Onada Sokunbi of CleverGirlFinance.com and I hosted our first workshop of 2016 on January 30th, 2016 and it was a great success! Our workshop took place in Jersey City, New Jersey in the cozy Fireside Lounge at The Bright Side Tavern. I was initially planning to write my own recap of the even to share with my readers, but I thought it would be more fun to showcase a recap one of the event attendees - Jill Goldsberry author of Beautyliscious Lifestyle. I hope you enjoy her lovely recap below! Thank you so much for attending the event and writing this great recap, Jill!
It's all glam and games until the check comes. Financing a fabulous lifestyle takes planning and strategy. But we have to talk about it. Many women are of the school of “We do not talking about money.” It’s just what we are taught. Well according to Bola Onoda Sokunbi, founder of CleverGirlFinance.com those days are really over. Women want and most importantly need to be in control of their finances and sometimes of the entire family budget. Bola teamed up with investment educator Jenny Coombs, founder and CEO of GradMoney.org to produce the first “Guide to Financial Success ” workshop at Brightside Tavern in downtown Jersey City Saturday January 30th. I was invited to attend the workshop and I’m so glad I did.
Bola, with a background in technology and business saw a need for women to know more about successful decision-making for our finances and CleverGirlFinance.com was born. She
now helps women from all walks of financial life to reboot, refresh and grow their money. Jenny Coombs has most recently given a TEDX talk in Jersey City, when not speaking on investing she educates young adults and women how to invest their money via GradMoney.org.
These two are a dynamo of information to empower women to really take an honest look at their money and future financial situation. The workshop focused on topics from savings, investing, budget strategies, stocks and so much more. The itinerary included speakers Bola Sokunnbi, Jenny Coombs and special guest speaker Joy Doyuin Ogunneye; the Global Brand Manager of Collar and Nails Marketing for CND Brand at Revlon, and creator of the Instagram account @thepinkjoy, discussing career dreams becoming reality.
If you are looking to get your money woes under control and move your dreams forward here are some starting tips anyone can use…
1. Forgive yourself for past financial disasters. We have all done some thing absolutely ridiculous that we wish in hindsight didn’t occur. Get past it and start fresh.
2. Align your spending with your core goals: Spend only if it makes sense toward the ultimate goal.
3. Be honest with your self ask yourself a few questions.
4. Give your budget a name you can look forward to (for example your budget is called the “Boss Lady Builder List”)
5. Set a timeline for your financial goals (1 year 2, years, 10 years - whatever it is stick to it)
6. When considering purchasing stocks according to Jenny Coombs “Never buy a new IPO wait and let it level out (remember Facebook?). And only buy stock in a company if you understand what they do ”
The 3-hour event left all inspired to go the journey to building their finances and aiming for long-term wealth. Find out more on the event via the following Instagram accounts and hashtags: @ClevergirlFinance, @GradMoney. #CCF #gradmoney #Clevergirlsknow.